ASME BPVC-IV (2013)
BPVC Section IV-Rules for Construction of Heating Boilers
Annotation and contents
About the BPVC
Since its first issuance in 1914, ASME’s Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code (BPVC) has pioneered modern standards-development, maintaining a commitment to enhance public safety and technological advancement to meet the needs of a changing world. More than 100,000 copies of the BPVC are in use in 100 countries around the world.
Click here for a printer-friendly version of a brochure, which details all 12 BPVC Sections, plus ASME’s portfolio of related BPVC offerings.
Product Scope / Abstract
This Section provides requirements for design, fabrication, installation and inspection of steam heating, hot water heating, hot water supply boilers, and potable water heaters intended for low pressure service that are directly fired by oil, gas, electricity, coal or other solid or liquid fuels. It contains appendices which cover approval of new material, methods of checking safety valve and safety relief valve capacity, examples of methods of checking safety valve and safety relief valve capacity, examples of methods of calculation and computation, definitions relating to boiler design and welding, and quality control systems. Rules pertaining to use of the H, HV, and HLW ASME Product Certification Marks are also included.
Careful application of this Section will help users to comply with applicable regulations within their jurisdictions, while achieving the operational, cost and safety benefits to be gained from the many industry best-practices detailed within these volumes.
Key changes to this 2013 Edition include:
- Manufacturer’s Data Report forms are being revised in order to simplify the requirements for the Authorized Inspector to complete the “Certificate of Shop Inspection” and the “Certificate of Field Assembly Inspection” portions of the Manufacturers data report form by requiring only the Inspector’s signature, National Board commission number and endorsement to be recorded.
- A new paragraph covering tolerances is being added under Part HG, as HG-103, titled “Tolerances”. This revision was recommended, since forewords are not officially considered part of the Code and any language perceived as mandatory and enforceable needed to be moved to the body of the Code.
- A new Appendix containing rules for the governing BPVC Edition and Addenda is being added to Section IV as well as revisions needed throughout the Code to clarify the requirements. It had been suggested that the BPVC be revised to clarify the requirements rather than relying on interpretations. During work on this item, it became apparent that clarification was needed for establishing the governing BPVC Edition and Addenda for new construction and field assembly as well as for parts. Also, as a result of initiating this item, CSP-9 was revised to establish a policy for establishing the effective BPVC Edition and Addenda to be used to construct an item that is to be stamped with an ASME Product Certification Mark (e.g. Code Symbol Stamp).
All changes to this 2013 Edition are incorporated into the appropriate page and each affected area is identified with a designator. Each Section includes a Summary of Changes that lists the material affected by the change, plus the nature of the change. There will no longer be Addenda service for this 2013 Edition or for future Editions.
Intended for manufacturers, users, constructors, designers and others concerned with the design, fabrication, assembly, erection, examination, inspection and testing of pressure vessels, plus all potential governing entities.
BPVC purchasers may wish to purchase a binder from ASME (BPVC Binder), but the publication will also fit a standard three-ring binder.
For the convenience of those applying for and/or maintaining their ASME Product Certification Marks, ASME gathers its required codes and standards into the following “BPVC product certification packages”:
- “H” (Cast Iron Section Heating Boilers) – click here
- “H” (Field Assembly of Boilers) – click here
- “H” (Heating Boilers, Except Cast Iron) – click here
- “HLW” (Lined Potable Water Heaters) – click here
- “HV” (Heating Boiler Safety Valves) – click here
You may also contact ASME’s CustomerCare (+1.800.THE.ASME/843.2763, email@example.com) for personalized assistance.