ASME BPVC-VIII-1 (2013)
BPVC Section VIII-Rules for Construction of Pressure Vessels Division 1
Annotation and contents
About the BPVC
Since its first issuance in 1914, ASME’s Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code (BPVC) has pioneered modern standards-development, maintaining a commitment to enhance public safety and technological advancement to meet the needs of a changing world. More than 100,000 copies of the BPVC are in use in 100 countries around the world.
Click here for a printer-friendly version of a brochure, which details all 12 BPVC Sections, plus ASME’s portfolio of related BPVC offerings.
Product Scope / Abstract
This Division of Section VIII provides requirements applicable to the design, fabrication, inspection, testing, and certification of pressure vessels operating at either internal or external pressures exceeding 15 psig. Such pressure vessels may be fired or unfired. Specific requirements apply to several classes of material used in pressure vessel construction, and also to fabrication methods such as welding, forging and brazing. It contains mandatory and nonmandatory appendices detailing supplementary design criteria, nondestructive examination and inspection acceptance standards. Rules pertaining to the use of the U, UM and UV ASME Product Certification Marks are also included.
Careful application of this Section will help users to comply with applicable regulations within their jurisdictions, while achieving the operational, cost and safety benefits to be gained from the many industry best-practices detailed within these volumes.
Key changes to this 2013 Edition include:
- New Nonmandatory Appendix on Guidance to the Responsibilities of the User and the Designated Agent
- New Mandatory Appendix on Establishing Governing BPVC Editions and Case for Pressure Vessels and Parts
- New Mandatory Appendix on Cold-Stretching of Austenitic Stainless Steel Pressure Vessels
- Friction Stir Welding (FSW) added as an acceptable welding process for VIII-1 construction
- Permits marking by electro-chemical etching
All changes to this 2013 Edition are incorporated into the appropriate page and each affected area is identified with a designator. Each Section includes a Summary of Changes that lists the material affected by the change, plus the nature of the change. There will no longer be Addenda service for this 2013 Edition or for future Editions.
Intended for manufacturers, users, constructors, designers and others concerned with the design, fabrication, assembly, erection, examination, inspection and testing of pressure vessels, plus all potential governing entities.
BPVC purchasers may wish to purchase a binder from ASME (BPVC Binder), but the publication will also fit a standard three-ring binder.
For the convenience of those applying for and/or maintaining their ASME Product Certification Marks, ASME gathers its required codes and standards into the following “BPVC product certification packages”:
- “UV” (Pressure Vessels, Safety Valves – includes BPVC-VIII-1, Pressure Vessels, Division 1) – click here
- “UV” (Pressure Vessels, Safety Valves – includes BPVC-VIII-2, Pressure Vessels, Division 2) – click here
- “U” (Pressure Vessels, Division 1) – click here
- “UM” (Miniature Pressure Vessels) – click here
- “UD” (Rupture Disc Devices) – click here
- “U2” (Pressure Vessels, Division 2) – click here
- “UV3” (Pressure Vessels, Safety Valves) – click here
- “U3” (Pressure Vessels, Division 3) – click here
You may also contact ASME’s CustomerCare (+1.800.THE.ASME/843.2763, firstname.lastname@example.org) for personalized assistance.