ASME BPVC-XI (2013)
BPVC Section XI-Rules for Inservice Inspection of Nuclear Power Plant Components
Annotation and contents
About the BPVC
Since its first issuance in 1914, ASME’s Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code (BPVC) has pioneered modern standards-development, maintaining a commitment to enhance public safety and technological advancement to meet the needs of a changing world. More than 100,000 copies of the BPVC are in use in 100 countries around the world.
Click here for a printer-friendly version of a brochure, which details all 12 BPVC Sections, plus ASME’s portfolio of related BPVC offerings.
Product Scope / Abstract
This Section contains Division 1 and 3, in one volume and provides rules for the examination, inservice testing and inspection, and repair and replacement of components and systems in light water cooled and liquid metal cooled nuclear power plants. The Division 2 rules for inspection and testing of components of gas cooled nuclear power plants have been deleted in the 1995 Edition. With the decommissioning of the only gas cooled reactor to which these rules apply, there is no apparent need to continue publication of Division 2. Application of this Section of the Code begins when the requirements of the Construction Code have been satisfied. The rules of this Section constitute requirements to maintain the nuclear power plant while in operation and to return the plant to service, following plant outages, and repair or replacement activities. The rules require a mandatory program of scheduled examinations, testing, and inspections to evidence adequate safety. The method of nondestructive examination to be used and flaw size characterization are also contained within this Section.
Careful application of this Section will help users to comply with applicable regulations within their jurisdictions, while achieving the operational, cost and safety benefits to be gained from the many industry best-practices detailed within these volumes.
Key changes to this 2013 Edition include:
- Defines requirements to address operational leakage
- Clarifies additional examination requirements for components accepted by analytical evaluation or repair/replacement activity
- Clarifies examination requirements for pressure retaining nozzle welds in pressure vessels
- Revises Appendix O to augment RV head penetration flaw evaluation guidance
- Revised Nonmandatory Appendix T: (a.) clarifies that the appendix is a guidance document; (b.) deletes the test pressure and test temperature entries on Form RRA-1; (c.) revises the wording in the certificate of compliance section of Form RRA-1
- Examination volume requirements of reactor vessel set-on type nozzles joined by full penetration butt welds
All changes to this 2013 Edition are incorporated into the appropriate page and each affected area is identified with a designator. Each Section includes a Summary of Changes that lists the material affected by the change, plus the nature of the change. There will no longer be Addenda service for this 2013 Edition or for future Editions.
Intended for manufacturers, users, constructors, designers and others concerned with the design, fabrication, assembly, erection, examination, inspection and testing of pressure vessels, plus all potential governing entities.
BPVC purchasers may wish to purchase a binder from ASME (BPVC Binder), but the publication will also fit a standard three-ring binder.